From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:19:22 +0200
Mats Norrman ad a spurious sinfonietta..

>Sjostakovitj also composed a sinfonietta.

Unless Mats has unveiled a previously unknown DSCH work, this is news
I'm really interested in.  Might it be that he relabel one of the many
arrangements made from DDS string quartets? (Rudolf Barshai made several,
it strikes me when I search the depths of my DDS knowledge that Swedish
conductor Mats Liljefors arranged the eight string quartet and called
it:  now where did I put that LP...  Yes; Sinfonietta for strings and
timpani..)

To follow up on Martins original quest, there are about 20 Swedish
sinfoniettas that I know of - most of never recorded, possibly only heard
once, a partial list below.  My favourite sinfonietta is by the Icelandic
valyria Karolina Eiriksdottir (1985).  There are also Estonian ones by
Heino Eller and Eduard Tubin, and perhaps Ester Magi (But I think Martin
knows about these, not least after having read his excellent piece on
Estonian music in the February issue of IRR).

A partial list of Swedish ones:

[Sinfonietta] Symfonietta / Dahl, Viking (1895-1945) - SMIC *
Sinfonietta concertante / Johanson, Sven-Eric (1919-1997) - SMIC
Sinfonietta nr 3 / Hallnas, Eyvind (1937) - SMIC *
     (as this is labeled 3, I guess that there must be a 1 and 2 aswell)
Sinfonietta op.14 / Sorenson, Torsten (1908-1992) - SMIC *
Sinfonietta / Kovar, Vladimir (1947-1997) - Imogena *
Sinfonietta 1 / Eyser, Eberhard (1932) - SMIC
Sinfonietta 2 / Eyser, Eberhard (1932) - SMIC
[Sinfonietta no 2] Espressivo / Kallstenius, Edvin (1881-1967) - SMIC

None of these have been recorded and most never got beyond that first
initial performance (Some not even as far as a performance), more
information availible through the Swedish Music Information Centre:

   http://www.mic.stim.se/

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)