From:
Doris Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:24:51 -0000
Christopher Rosevear wrote:

>a.  Because many school-children do these exams, there appears to be some
>positive peer pressure towards doing music seriously

Except when some children like to learn for enjoyment only and can** do
extremely well; unfortunately they become all too often subject to parental
pressure (usually because "Well, so and so has done it so should my child")
which can put them off.

>(as opposed to the insidious negative peer pressure shown to boys who
>do ballet)

What a pity those good footballers who do/have done ballet - tap dancing -
won't stand up and be counted..  (Why after all did the concert in Rome
take place? The tenors were there for the football, not the other way
round!)

>b.  There is a long-term statistical link between working on music exams
>and enhanced success in academic exams.<

Again, this can work in the oppoiste way, when too much academic homework
forces music to be abandoned.  This can occasionally be an excuse, but not
always.  You should see how much some of these 12 year olds have to do.

Made more difficult by the extra mural pursuits- again arranged by
parents.  Dancing, 3 kinds, Karate, two evenings, art class, swimming,
music-two instruments, and this infant is 11.  Where does the chance to
just sit,think, absorb -anything at all as well as music come in? One
of my most often repeated instruction is "Listen to it as you play"
(followed by -"play it with your eyes shut and just listen")

>c.  The step level of the exams encourages pupils to move to the next grade
>- to increase their musical skills.

Depends how well they've done!

>d.  County and national orchestras and bands then have a standard
>evaluation measure for "rough-cut" purposes; so you can have an ensemble
>of Grade 4-6 where you know in advance that Royal Fireworks is feasible
>but Firebird is not.

On the other hand, I've known some brilliant young musicians*** who have
failed exams through sheer nerves.  It also takes imagination to spot some
problems.

OT but in some ways relevant, my eldest son-silent reading by six-,
was called a duffer because of his untidy, unreadable writing.  Took a
brilliant teacher at 14 (and oh how we nagged and pleaded with previous
ones for help) to arrange a check.  Martin had 1 year's touch typing,
did his exams - and classwork on one and now is MSc.BSc.  (Computers, of
course) He could play 2 octaves DMajor contrary motion at 9 after a year's
piano lessons.  but stumbled over simple ones-"Boring"!  he said.  A
duffer?

>a collaboration by the major US music schools with the ABRSM!

I think this would be brilliant.  ABRSM don't function in Russia eitherof
course.

I have a fellow doll collecter friend there who teaches English to
Primary and Music Teachers at University.  The language is obligatory I'm
told.  She is a few years off retirement and has a monthly salary of 15.00.
No wonder when I asked if she'd like a copy of one of the AB Theory books
at 5.00.  she said they couldn't afford it.  Latest thing over there is
learning Scottish Folksongs- in Scottish of course.  The University has a
Scottish society.  Would love to hear these.  Sorry- I've digressed.  But
music crosses over so many interests; no borders; well, not many.  Doris><>

P.S.***The notable exception to this is the Reina Sofia Conservatory in
Madrid.  It operates outside the system, has no exams, and turns out fine,
polished, mature musicians*** Q.E.D.!

Doris.