Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:15:45 -0500
Susan Juhl wrote:

>...  This is a list of the music I played.
>
>Prayer of St. Gregory   Alan Hovhaness
>There is a Country    Richard Delong
>Still, Still with Thee     Fred Gramann
>Elegy from Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra   Corigliano
>Lux Aeterna: Introitus (Eternal Rest)   Lauridsen
>Summerland    Stills
>Fantasy on a Hymn Tune of Justin Morgan    Canning
>Simple Song  from Mass     Bernstein
>Alleluia     Randall Thompson
>Variations on Reflections    Amy Scurria
>Con sentimento (middle mvt) from Walter Piston's Serenata for Orchestra:
>Chaconne (in Memoriam...)    Ron Nelson
>Out of the Depths     Hovhaness
>Threnody from suite for violin with String Orchestra   Lou Harrison.
>Kaddish for cello and orchestra    Diamond
>Pilgrims' Hymn    S. Paulus
>Adagio for Strings    Barber
>Simple Gifts     Copland
>The Promise of Living from the Tender Land    Copland
>Largo from Sonata    WT McKinley

Thank you for thinking American...

Looking at your list, and not having thought of playing movements from
larger works...

I am also reminded of things like the First Movement of the Randall
Thompson 3rd Symphony.  I have an old recording of Munch rehearsing the
work...Thompson makes a few remarks...about the first movement he mentioned
his being influence by the "terrible effects the war had on all of us."

Also, noticing above the mention of Piston...also the slow movement of
his Second Symphony and that most beautiful clarinet solo...

So many others come to mind, but I am most impressed by your list, as
there are several works like the DeLong etc.  that are new to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Karl