From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:34:26 PST
Iain Simons wrote:

>I would still argue that it does have a place in society, and it would
>probably expand the listening repertoire of many so-called *heavy-metal*
>fans.  After all, the Moody Blues bridged the gap between the *classical*
>and the contemporary pop for my generation.

I wasn't going to contribute to this thread, because I think that the mix
of heavy-metal and orchestra is ridiculous.  But, Iain's reflections are
so different from mine that I felt the need to chime in.

I have to make a distinction between "pop" and "rock" music.  Until the
early to mid-sixties, pop and rock were one and the same.  Then came the
Beatles, Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Bob Dylan, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix,
etc.  These artists created "hard" rock; no longer did the themes revolve
around love, but sex, drugs, and political and social issues.  Pop music
did continue to live through folks like Diana Ross, the Carpenters, Tony
Orlando and Dawn - themes still revolved around love and syrup, etc.

If the Moody Blues bridged any gap, it was the one between rock and pop
music, and many rock fans were very disenchanted with the Moody Blue's use
of orchestral back-up.  Someone mentioned Nights in White Satin which is
a good example.  Here was a rock song with a mysterious "edge" which was
diluted and nearly ruined by the use of orchestra.

I think that Iain does not give sufficient credit to heavy-metal fans.
They are no 'so-called' fans, they are real and want their music without
the smoother and mainstream sounds of an orchestra.  So, I do not believe
that heavy-metal and orchestra will expand their repertoire at all, just
turn them off (appropriately).  I'm sure that Iain's daughter knows what
I'm talking about.

You see, those of us who feel that this mix and match business is a good
thing still think of the rock end as not as good or worthy, and when those
rock fans hear how good the music sounds with orchestra, they will be at
least somewhat converted.  That premise has nothing to recommend it.  With
little exception, heavy metal fans will be turned off by this mix - it's
not what they want no matter how much *we* say otherwise.  As I've said
before, young persons want and demand their own music, written and
performed for them.

So, my opinion is that heavy-metal + orchestra = junk music.  It's a silly
gimmick which always ends in nothing as it has in the past.  Now that I'm
a strong classical music advocate, I'm personally embarrassed for those
elements of the classical music world which get involved in these wasted
endeavors.  Riding the coattails of rock music to increase the appeal of
classical music has no viabilty.

Don Satz