From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:43:37 PDT
John Smyth wrote:

>... but it's hard for me to imagine that Verdi would be happy with
>Gardiner's HIP requiem.

I'm not big on composer intentions, and I wouldn't venture to guess what
makes Verdi happy.  The significant element to me is not whether Verdi
would be happy with Gardiner, but whether *I* am happy with Gardiner.
Verdi isn't buying or listening to the cd.

John also indicated that Bach would discard the instruments he had to
work with in favor of modern instruments.  Another speculation.  It's
possible he would have used all of them.  John is applying a superiority
to modern instruments based on advances in technology.  But, not everyone
finds that modern instruments sound better in baroque music than their
period counterparts.  That's because Bach and other baroque composers
wrote for the instruments they had to work with - it's the right match.

Many music lovers do not enjoy period instrument performances.
Unfortunately, some of them don't leave it at that and simply stay away.
They feel a need to diminish the world of HIP and go about the business of
finding deficiences in the concept.  What's the motivation? I have no idea.

Don Satz