From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:12:25 +1300
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]> scripsit:

>THe performances stand or fall on their mertis, but the rationalistations
>stand or fall on their tenability - a very different thing.  A few people
>have died for music, but many more have been willing to kill, litearlly and
>figuratively, to preserve thher rationlisations.

Moreover, anyone who is still perplexed by the extreme emotional responses
& impulsive behaviours which music can draw forth need only consider that
the earliest manifestations of music probably arose from ritual.  Anything
sacred will eventually produce 'articles of faith', points of agreement,
doubt, heresy, orthodoxy, & in general a whole Pandora's Box of things
appertaining thereto.  Indeed the moment one expresses any opinion
whatsoever, one takes the chance of walking aimlessly into someone elses
minefield or Inquisition.  It usually takes a swashbuckling adventurer to
get out of the mire.  A certain type of casual footware should however make
the exhilerating or dangerous journeys more comfortable.  Just do it!

>My advice to anyone is to learn to appreciate the difference between the
>full bodied romantic and the acidic authentic styles the same way a wine
>conisseur would realise that no matter how wonderful a thing Chardonnay is,
>it does not suit every taste, dish or occasion.

Interesting to note that what passed for 'wine' amongst the ancient Greeks
& Romans & almost throughout the medieval period would be regarded as more
like vinegar even to modern plonk drinkers!  My own musical taste buds
appreciate an omnivorous diet.  I quite like vinegar on my chips &
bagatelles.

Geoffrey Gaskell [log in to unmask]