From:
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:23:34 -0700
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At this point, the entire Bruch field of music is within my sights,
>so I'd appreciate some feedback concerning favored recordings of his
>works in any category.

Here are some comments for various Bruch concerti #1 that I've heard,
both recently and long ago:

Milstein/Barbirolli- If you like crystal clear playing, then you'd
probably like this, but I consider it to be lacking personal warmth.  I
thought I read somewhere that Milstein didn't even consider this a real
concerto.  However, that crystal playing and impeccable rhythm never
fails to amaze me when he plays the last movement.  I don't know anyone
who executes that last movement better than he.

Tibor Varga- His name was recently mentioned in an obituary here on the
list.  His playing is more involved, more personal, but his phrasing is
also more hyperbolic; but as a matter of personal taste however I think
I might prefer it over Milstein.

Zukerman/Mehta- The only reason I mention this recording is that I know
people who seem to like this recording.  I find it incredibly scratchy
as well as uninteresting and uninvolving.  I don't know why my friends
like it.  After listening to the above two I didn't have the patience
to finish listening to this recording.

Perlman/ Previn- I think this is one of the better recordings out there.
It's expressive, like Varga's performance, but not over the top, and it
defintely has some of Milstein's virtuosic feel.  I would definitely
recommend this performance.

Kreisler/ Blech- For me this is one of the greatest recordings on record,
period.  I haven't heard it in a long time, but I remember being completely
enthralled with first half of the first movement, and hypnotized by the
last half of the second movement.  In some ways Perlman reminds me of
Kreisler in his sensitivity of approach to chords, as well as his
thoughtfulness in the interpretation.  I used to listen to this on record,
so I don't know how well the CD would retain Kreisler's beautiful tone
and sound.  I have a tape of Kreisler playing vignettes whose sound has
never been equalled on CD...

Menuhin/ Sargent?- Along with the Kreisler recording these are the two
top interpretations that I like.  Menuhin recorded this at least three
time, I believe, and I think it's the one with Sargent which is the best.

Bustabo/ Mengelberg- This is a live performance recorded in mono sound,
and I remember the sound quality being quite scratchy, but the real
reason I like this recording has more to do with Mengelberg, who I feel
gives one of the best accompaniments I've ever heard.  Well, it's food
for thought.

Other recommendations I heard from friends for the Bruch#1 are Ivry
Gitlis, who apparently plays a very wild third movement, and Heifetz.
Someone also recommended Cho-Liang Lin for the best overall stereo
recording, but I haven't heard it.

>[Also, the recordings of his 1st Violin Concerto number over 50.  Will
>I have to buy all of them?  Can I refrain from doing so?  I'll only have
>the money to do this for the next couple of months, since I'm retiring
>in November.]

I think my response would be idiotic if I were to direct it to
someone with the experience of Don, so instead I'll just make a general
comment/reminder: If you have a local university with a music department,
don't forget that they often have libraries where one can listen to a
treasure-ful of recordings at no cost.  Also, public city libraries can
be a great resource center as well.

hector aguilar