From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:24:36 -0700
John Smyth writes:

>Considering that Bach did not specify instrumentation for the Art of Fugue
>or the Musical Offering, does that mean it is only allowed to exist on
>paper?

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't much know what to say about that.
I suppose you could say that Bach never really specified what instruments
to play the Well Tempered Clavier on either.  He never said they must be
played on harpsichord or clavichord.  Perhaps they should never be played
either.  I am thankful they are performed.  Bach did specify the
instrumentation on some of the Musical Offering.  Given that the piece
was written for Frederick the Great of Prussia and includes a trio *with*
flute(the king was a decent flute player), I don't think it qualifies as
being without instrumentation.  As far as the Art of Fugue is concerned, I
think it would be more reasonable to assume that the piece was meant to be
played by ANY ensemble rather than not performed at all.  However, the
answer to that died along with the Master.  Too many mysteries with Bach.
I wish we honestly knew more about his intentions.

Wes