From:
Jonathan Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:29:07 -0800
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Picked up a disk of Strauss Motets by Musica Sacra/Westenburg that wasn't
>very satisfying.  It did, however, include a performance of Tallis' "Spem
>in Alium," that compelled me to buy the rosetted Gimell recording with the
>Tallis Scholars.
>
>What a piece, recording, and performance.  Many of the chance-tonalities
>produced by the eight choirs singing antiphonally were very gratifying to
>my late 19th-Century ears.  I also like that fact that it wasn't always
>thickly-polyphonic.

I'm going to have to agree and disagree.  I have performed the "Spem
in alium" on several occasions in a cathedral tour of England, and I
a can say that it is a tremendous piece to experience on either side
of the conductor.  But the inherent problem with it, is that you have to
experience it live.  The Tallis Scholars recording (as well as any other
recording I've ever heard of it) is awful.  The balance is decisevely
biased toward the soprano parts which, if you ever hear it live, you learn
is the least important part of the piece.  It is very intricate in the
inner voices and requires profound bass presence to support the framework
of the piece.  Al you need to do is follow along with the score to hear how
much you are missing.  You also lose out on the antiphonal effects between
various choirs (1 & 8, 3 & 5, etc.) It is very exciting in performance.

I hope that all who read this will get a chance to hear it live someday,
but that is highly unlikely.  I was fortunate enough to perform it in the
likes of Canterbury Cathedral, and Salisbury Cathedral (under the spire:).)

Jonathan Knapp