From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 00:31:11 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Is this really new?  It certainly seems consistent with the view of people
>like Michael Kennedy and other eminent Elgarians.  I always thought of
>Elgar's music as "nervous," edgy, and discontent.  I'd disagree with
>Oramo's view of Barbirolli as "operatic." On the other hand, I greatly
>admire Oramo's recordings and look forward to any Elgar he might release.

Read Oramo's comments in context.  Of course it's not new that Elgar
wasn't what his image might be.  What Oramo is discussing is why people
in general percieve Elgar negatively.  There must be thousands all over
the world who may not know as much as the clever few, but who are
nonetheless musically astute, but how to make them aware in the first
place?  For example, Elgar's music was appreciated in Germany and Austria
when it was new.  Richard Strauss called him "a progressive".  So why
isn't he performed more often there more often now?  That is the issue
Oramo is dealing with, how to pitch Elgar to a wider international
audience, how to get them to listen beyond the cliches.  Those who've
heard Oramo's many Elgar performances possibly have an idea what he's
getting at.

Anne