From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:12:03 +0000
Larry Sherwood writes:

>I'm still trying to make up my mind about Reger - one of his best
>known works, his clarinet quintet, leaves me cold,....

I'm surprised, since I find the work readily accessible and in the
general manner of the Brahms Clarinet Quintet.

>A few weeks ago, someone claimed Mozart lacked emotion.  The thought
>crossed my mind that perhaps she had momentarily confused Mozart and
>Reger,.....

Poor Max.  He doesn't gush all over with emotive elan, so he gets the
label of a 'cold fish' addicted to chromaticism.  All I can say is that he
came up with some great works for solo piano, organ, and chamber ensemble.
Just buy the Reger piano cd on Naxos and check out the beauty and depth of
his creations.

I don't recall the source, but I read many years ago that Reger supposedly
never shed a tear when playing or listening to music - that's my kind of
guy.  This crying penchant over music is something I've never understood.

Don Satz