From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:59:46 -0600
David Wolf wrote:

>I found one recording devoted entirely to Ornstein's compositions,
>and ordered it after hearing the samples.  It's a quintet for piano
>and strings, plus I believe his 3rd String Quartet.  I found the samples
>compelling and powerful.  Here's the link to the article.  Anyone out
>there familiar with his music?

I have the following in my collection:

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra (Lovely!)
A Biography in Sonata form for Piano
Concerto for Piano and Orch.
Nocturne and Dance of Fates for Orch.
Piano Music:3 Moods, Wild Man's Dance, Melancholy
Landscape, Chant of the Hindou Priests, La Chinoise, 10 Poems
Quintet for Pf. and Strgs.

I also have at least one 78 of his playing.

Chopin: Impromptu, op.29; Etude Op.10 No.5 (wonderful playing)

The first time I heard his music was on a series of Television programs.
Music of the 20s hosted by Copland!  Wish I had a copy of those broadcasts!

I find Ornstein's music to be uneven.  The Piano Concerto (from an inhouse
tape of a NY performance of several years ago) is a rich romantic work and
hopefully will appear on the Hyperion series.  The Wild Man's Dance is
indeed wild.  As an undergraduate I found a fair amount of his music in our
library.  I tried to play some of it an didn't have much luck as it was not
easy...to say the least.

Karl