From:
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:31:12 -0300
Jeffrey S. Hall wrote:

>Dear CM fans, Here's an idea for a new thread.  Instead of your favorite
>pieces, what are your favorite movements? Mine are piano concerto 20 by
>Mozart, first movement (Uchida/Tate on Philips) and violin sonata 9 by
>Beethoven, first movement (Perlman/Ashkenazy in the new Decca Legends
>series).

Good idea, Jeffrey!

I agree in first place with you.  Mozart's 20's first mov.  is my favorite
of all.  I didn't hear Ushida's, yet is difficult for me to believe any
other can be batter than Anda's.  I didn't like Kempff's very much.  Did
you hear them?

My favorites are just these (I write from my job place, and I don't remember
all names and recordings by heart. I didn't put more operas because I don't
remember all the names of the Arias - from Zauberflote, for example). There
are twenty mov bellow. It's missing many... One of them is the first mov A>
of the sonata of the "Alla Turkish"(3# mov) n A>, that I like with Ingrid
Haebler, and that I didn't put for not remembering it's K (310, 311, 330?).

Mozart    - Conc.  24 / 1#mov (Geza Anda, Cam. Acad. Mozarteum Salzburg)
Beethoven - Sn op.111/ Arietta (I never found a great record) I call it "Our
Epitaph".
Beethoven - Hammerklavier /1# and 3#mov  (Alfred Brendel-Life)
Bach      - The Art of Fugue / The last - unfinished - Contraponctus (G. Gould)
Haendel   - Messias / "Hey thou that tellest good sittings to Zion" (Karl
   Ritcher)
Brahms      - Conc.  2 / 1# mov   (G. Sandor/ Reinhardt?/ ORBaden-Baden)
Sibelius     - Violin Conc. / 1#mov  (Heifetz - RCA)
Prokofiev   - Piano Con 3 / 1#mov (Ashkenazy / Previn)
Mozart        - Great Mass C / Kyrie Eleyson (Karajan)
Prokofiev   - Violin Conc 1 / 1#mov (Shlomo Mintz)
Mozart        - Conc. 20 / 1#mov (Kempff) and 2# mov (Marriner-Film "Amadeus")
Beethoven - Waldstein / 3# mov (D. Tomsic) - IMO, it opens the Doors of
Perception
Beethoven - Appassionata / 3# mov (W. Kempff) - His most sensual mov. IMO
Bach       - English Suite / "1#mov" - I forgot it's name - (Ivo Pogorelich)
Beethoven - Symph 5 / 1# mov  (I never found my great record.)
Beethoven - Symph 9 / 2# mov  (L. Stokowski, OSL)
Wagner      - Overture "Master Singers of Nuremberg" (but not with Marriner)
Mozart     - Clarinet Concert / 2# mov (Karl Bohn) - His farewell to life, IMO
Mozart        - Requiem / Confutatis (Marriner)
Borodin      - Prince Igor / Polovitzian Dances (R. Shaw - O. S. Atlanta)
Wagner      - Tristan and Isold - The Death of Isold (with... suggestions?)

Best regards
Renato Vinicius