From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:15:48 -0400
A friend tells me that he phoned Gyorgy Sandor on Monday of this week,
on the occasion of the 91st birthday of Bartok's favourite piano student
and interpreter.  He reports that although the pianist's legs are very
weak, he sounded in good spirits.

He also passed on two URLs to articles (in Spanish) relating Sandor's
presence in Buenos Aires earlier in September.  Amazingly, this included
a performance with Martha Argerich, and percussionists Angel Frette and
Arturo Vergara, of "an intense version" of Bartok's Sonata for Two Pianos
and Percussion.  URLs to the articles:

   http://old.clarin.com/diario/2003/09/07/c-00401.htm

   http://www.lanacion.com.ar/03/09/12/ds_526640.asp

This second item includes photographs of La Argerich with Mr. Sandor,
whereas the first is to a brief interview with Sandor.  Anyone interested
in a potted translation reach me privately.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa