From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:01:30 -0500
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I also have no idea what the word "best" means in this context.  Schiff
>is definitely one of the better ones I've heard (I assume you're talking
>about his first recording; I understand he's re-recorded it, but I haven't
>heard it), but I also like several of Tureck's traversals and those of
>several others.  All of the really good ones differ from each other.
>All of them offer a different take on the music.  To me, you're asking
>a question like "what's the highest star?"

I usually say the same thing.  "Best" is a matter of personal taste.
In my own case, one day I'll listen and swoon over S.  Richter's
interpretations, the next I might listen to Leonhardt on harpsichord,
then back to Gould, on to Tureck, etc.  etc.  I have never heard a
performance I hated.

All the musicians named are excellent in their own ways.  The only way
you will find out what's "best" is by listening to a bunch of them over
and over.  That's a great assignment, though, because the more you hear
of these, the more you will notice and appreciate.  Heck, even the Swingle
Singers did a few of them.  Great for listening to and participating.

Mimi