From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:44:58 -0700
Roger, Len and Karl share my enthusiasm and offer additional info on the
tech side, it is much appreciated.

With regard to pressings, etc.  I wanted to give a generalized account
of what's good and what's bad without putting people off.  The best
advice I could give for someone thinking of listening to Classical
on vinyl is to just buy a few records, listen to them on a variety
of turntables, (there's magic even in some of the $250 ones), and see
if you find the sound appealing.  My studying "turntable theory":)
before just simply listening was a big turn-off.

For fun I will be posting lists of the treasures I've found that may be
languishing in your local thrifts.  I forgot to mention Harmonia Mundi
and Argo are also class acts all the way.

John