From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 00:57:12 +0100
Roberto Strappafelci wrote:

>Ed Zubrow wrote:
>
>>Can anyone explain the difference between homophony (homophonic music) and
>>monody (monodic music)?
>
>Monody, everyone used to play it, but they hadn't a clue until someone came
>out with poliphony.  "So what the hell have we been playing all this time?"
>they asked.  "Monody", someone replied with a brand new word.

I almost never get my definitons straight but I thought that *monody* is a
dominant melodic voice over a harmonic *accompaniment* (well...) whereas
*polyphony* is when each *voice* has their own rhythmic line (unlike in
*homphony*).

>Homophony is when all the voices (or instruments, or voices and
>instruments) sing (or play, or sing and play) the same note (or the octave)
>at the same moment.  ...

*the same note or the octave*?? I thought this was *unisono*.  As long as
the *rhythm* is the same for each *voice* it's *homophony* or so I've
always been led to believe.

Oh well, I'm probably messing up...

Philip