From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:34:57 -0400
The whole discussion makes we wonder what our equalivants, perhaps music
lovers in a correspondence circle, would have written in 1902 regarding
music since Tristan.  Would Tristan have been the War Requiem for them?
Maybe they would have referred to the Verdi Requiem, who knows?

Would they have been as well informed as us? Perhaps not, in terms of
familiarity with a vast repertoire.  On the other hand, receptivity to new
music would have been higher across the board.  There also would have been
vigorous discussion of the Wagner vs.  the Brahms schools of "program" vs.
"absolute" music.  Undoubtedly, the likes of Bruch and Raff would be
championed, while few would mention Mahler or Bruckner.

Let's hope there won't be a world war in 2014 to completely warp current
musical developments the way they were in 1914.  Or did WW1 really have
that great an effect? I say yes, certain developments, e.g.  the second
Viennese School, would not have been taken on so profoundly had there not
been WW1.  Neoclassicism, however, probably would have been as big or
bigger, a necessary correction to the Wagnerian pendulum.

Other ideas out there?

Jeff Dunn