From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:39:35 PST
Iain Simons wrote concerning the Chandos series:

>I'm interested in your opinion with respect to performance and sound.
>How many discs are available in this series?

So far this series, conducted by Bamert with a small modern instrument
orchestra, has had symphonies devoted to M.  Haydn, Krommer, Pleyel, Pichl,
Vanhal, Gossec, Carl Stamitz, Baguer, and Clementi.  Performances are
excellent throughout.

There is the matter of the quality of the music.  I generally find that
the above composers do better in smaller forms.  Don't get me wrong; it's
good music, but several notches below the symphonies of Haydn and Mozart.
I have stopped buying the series, although I might return to it some day.
I just got saturated with this style of composition.  Of the above, I most
enjoyed Krommer, Haydn, and Vanhal.

Don Satz