From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:49:28 -0300
William Copper writes:

>I think the same issue surrounds the creation of new music.  While there
>may be new Ruggles's working today, many of us who write try to intuit
>what the current form of 'best music' is and write more of it.

Kernis and Rochberg just do the same.  Every composer do more or less the
same, I guess.  I don't understand the difference.

>This is true, I believe, from the prosaic processors of new choral music
>for not-so-good church choirs, to the Wourinens or the Bolcoms of last
>year and the Kernis's of this year, and -- naturally -- the popular music
>sensations whoever they are.

Aren't they writing good music? (not the case of popular music sensations,
who often can't write even their names).  Besides...what can be more
challenging and engaging than writing music for a not-so-good church
choir?.

Pablo Massa