From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:28:36 -0600
Steve Schwartz:

>For many years, most listeners knew it [Harold Shapero's Symphony]
>only through this recording, never truly firmly in the catalogue, and
>the symphony developed a cult base of fans, as did the recording.

(I cherish one of the first copies pressed, with a pedigree of sorts
provided by a New York City used record dealer!)

>The symphony stands as one of the monuments of American neo-classicism,
>Stravinsky branch, and it's the equal of any symphony actually by
>Stravinsky, excepting the Symphony of Psalms, which says a lot.

And the Symphony of Psalms is a critter of another sort altogether.

>I've heard the work nominated for Greatest American Symphony, and the
>only doubt I have is that - superb as it is - I don't find it particularly
>representative of American music, except for here and there a certain
>kind of rhythmic elan, quite different from, say, Stravinsky.

More syncopation, perhaps.  But surely, an "American symphony" is most
defensibly described as a symphony by an American.  It is odd that the
German/Austrian symphonic tradition seemed to come to an end with Mahler,
to be taken up by the Americans, British and Russians.

>Bernstein...  succeeds on a lower level in the Dallapiccola and the
>Shapero, mainly due to the scrappy playing of his pick-up band...As
>for the Shapero, I cling to the heresy that Andre Previn's account on
>New World 80373 supersedes Bernstein's account.  Not only do the playing
>and sonics outstrip this recording (although the sound is astonishingly
>good for its time, despite some noticeable tape hiss), but Previn has a
>stronger grip on the symphony's architecture.  Bernstein generates a lot
>of energy, but it tends to dissipate.  Previn focuses the energy and
>thus makes a greater impact.

This preference for the Previn is validated by Shapero himself (in
a private conversation I assume he would not mind my reporting) but,
except for the quality of the orchestra and recording quality, I strongly
disagree.  My reaction is just the opposite: that Bernstein's intense
energy is sustained, which makes the performance one of the most exciting
of any--of anything--I have ever heard; but Previn's, if it does not
flag, lets my attention flag.  Perhaps we should do a point by point
comparison, at spots measured by the CD players!

Jim Tobin