From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:16:59 PDT
Hot off the press are some new releases I'm looking forward to:

a.  Hyperion is starting a Romantic Violin Concerto Series with the three
Saint-Saens concertos.  This new series is a complement to Hyperion's
Romantic Piano Concerto Series.  Original, no? (maybe I'll cease looking
forward to it).

b.  But this one should be a winner - The Hagen Quartet performing my two
favorite Beethoven/Schubert string quartets.  Those would be Op.  95 for
Beethoven and D 887 for Schubert.  I've always liked the Hagen Quartet and
was first exposed to them on a Mozart "late" string quartet recording,
still one of my favorite.  This is a great trio, brought to us by DG.

c.  I never miss a Scelsi recording and Hat Art has added another to the
Scelsi discography.  Catalog number is 117.

d.  Although not exactly new, I want the reissued Finlandia recordings of
Palmgren's Piano Concertos.  Maybe Joseph and I will meet in cyberspace to
get this one.

e.  The recording I'm most anticipating is Uchida/Sanderling's account of
Beethoven's fifth piano concerto.  That will complete the set and I've been
very pleased with the previous recordings.  I love the rapport between
Uchida and the conductor.

Is there a recording to warn you of? Always.  This time it's another
installment in the Chandos Opera in English series, Donizetti's The Elixir
of Love (that's what they call it).  Italian opera in English -what's the
world coming to?

Don Satz