From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:56:45 -0400
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey Gaskell wrote:
>>
>>>Personally I think that Britten's War Requiem has a taste similar to Sweet
>>>& Sour Pork with noodles.  Other people might consider the flavour more
>>>akin to Whitchety Grubs, but that would be their concern and taste buds,
>>>not mine.
>>
>>For me, it tastes like  a pretentious but mediocre wine(whine?)
>
>Oh please.  That's a cheap shot professor Chasan, and I am rather
>surprised to read such a comment from you.

Well, Kevin is right, it was a cheap shot and I regret it.I don't like the
work, and I am bemused to see it considered a mid 20th century masterpiece.
But who cares? It is just a matter of taste, as Mimi recently pointed out,
and there is no particular reason why anyone else should care about my
negative opinion.  The situation is different for positive opinions,,
because there we share with the list our enthusiasms, and this may help
members to new experiences.  I certainly have benefitted inthat way.

Let me share one right now- really old hat for chamber music aficianados.
I tuned in a performance of Beethoven's "Ghost" Trio the other day.
-perhaps some list members take Beethoven for granted after years of
listening,perhaps they are jaded.  But if you are not familiar with this
work, which is not one of his most frequently played, you are in for a
treat.(IMHO as always)

Bernard Chasan
who very much would like to know what a Whitcherly Grub is - I think.