From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:09:18 +0000
Glenn Miller writes in response to my comments:

>>I'm sure most of us could point out many inexpensive discs in our local
>>stores that just sit on on the shelves month after month.  Consumers are
>>wary of cheap prices without confidence' of fine performances.
>
>I might be misunderstanding your point but how do you know that as they
>are being sold, a clerk then restocks the same inexpensive discs.

I do know because of the frequency with which I visit the local record
stores and my familiar relationship with the sales personnel.  I'm at
these stores at least twice a week and know what's coming and going.

>This topic has been brought up before but I thought that inexpensive
>discs brought in a nice profit for stores (Circuit City, Best Buy, Media
>Play, etc.) and that these discs were targeted to uneducated consumers.

My comments did not refer to stores such as Circuit City where audio
and visual equipment are the main selling items.  Actually, I'm never
in those kinds of stores, preferring to acquire my equipment at high-end
facilities.  The service at places like Circuit City is pretty bad - the
hard sell without knowledge of the products.  So, I have no idea how
music sells in these retail outlets.

Don Satz