From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:48:11 -0500
George Marshall wrote:

>Karl Miller writes:
>
>>I have no idea what type of sound the average listener likes, and I
>>have my doubts that record companies know either.  One thing seems clear
>>to me - record companies like to offer a rich sound that can be rather
>>homogenous with excessive reverberation.

Well actually that was Donald responding to my posting.

>I think I prefer clarity of detail, which perhaps explains why I generally
>prefer headphones and (heresy) often prefer broadcasts to CDs.

I usually prefer concert broadcasts for both the clarity of sound and,
when it does happen, the excitement which can be present in a live
performance versus the often more controlled performances in studio
recording.

>What puzzles me is that one reads about dummy head recordings made with
>two microphones only, but I have been able to get hold of one.

There are a few binaural recordings on CD. I recently acquired a Bruckner
4th recorded by Pittsburgh which was supposedly binaural, however it did
not sound as effective as some of the older Cook LPs I have heard.

Karl