From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:11:41 PST
Reynier Bordes writes of the Tureck set:

>I have been doubting to buy, I have the Schiff on piano, Landowska and
>Gilbert on harpsichord and Marie Claire Alain on organ.  Can any of the
>list members tell me if I really should buy this set? Gramophone says
>it is a must, but is this so...?

Tureck's set has some unique characteristics that make it a special
recording; I also think the same holds for other piano versions including
Richter, Gould, Hewitt, Schepkin, Jarrett, Aldwell, Feinberg, Martins, and
Horszowski.  Are they all essential? They probably are to a lover of the
WTC on piano.  However, if your goal is one or two versions each on piano
and harpsichord, most of the above recordings have better sound than
Tureck's set.  My personal opinion is that one piano set, Schiff's, is
not sufficient; there's better out there.

Don Satz