From:
Daryl Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:35:49 -0800
Ron Chaplin asks:

>Was Prokofiev considered a Soviet composer? What I mean by "Soviet
>composer" is someone who composed music that was acceptable to the
>leadership.

Prokofiev seemed to be a composer who was embraced by the Soviet
Leadership.  His "Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October
Revolution," the Cantata "Flourish, Mighty Homeland," and the orchestral
piece, "Zdravitsa," or "Hail to Stalin," leads me to believe that he was
well liked by the establishment (though he spent 20 of his 60 years outside
of the USSR).

Daryl Loomis