From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:37:31 +0100
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>Does anyone know what the situation is with MP3? Do artists and CD
>companies get paid each time a performance is downloaded from the net? If
>there is no compensation, then I have a big problem with MP3.  I wouldn't
>mind so much the big conglomerates loosing money, but I would hate to see
>performers, even the big names, get ripped off.

I think that specifically at MP3.com that artists voluntarily submit
their own work knowing that it will be downloaded for free.  This is an
interesting subject, and I feel we are at an important juncture (sp?) in
the history of recorded music, and if I were a recording company I would
be wondering about my future.

My group (see http://www.serafinotrio.com/) is planning extensive internet
activity, and if all works out like we hope, we won't need to be signed by
a record label to have our work recorded.  In October we are planning to
go into the studio (actually a concert hall but never mind) to record our
first disc.  We don't have a record contract and will produce this disc
from our own pockets.  We will then be free to sell it on our own over the
internet.  We will use the Mp3 technology to provide samples of the disc
for free download in the hopes that people will then buy the disc itself.
We will receive all the money ourselves for every disc sold.  Our disc will
be distributed by us and will be our responsibility if it sells or not.

This goes directly against the usual process and skips the recording
companies completely.  Let's look at David Bowie for a second.  He just
released a new album and is selling it at a greatly reduced cost over the
internet before its record-store release.  If I were his record company
I would be rather nervous about this but as an artist I think it is
wonderful.  We have heard too much lately about how recording companies use
young groups like mine to sell records, paying no royalties, just dangling
"prestige" in front of them as if prestige could put chicken on the table.
Forgetaboutit.  We can record a disc of music that we want to record and
with the click of an upload we can distribute it worldwide, taking all the
profits for ourselves.  I see in the not-too-distant future all groups
doing this.  Why should any group not produce and sell their own product?
Why should the Philadelphia Orchestra finance the luxurious offices of
their record-company bosses when the orchestra can sell as many discs over
the internet and put nice leather sofas in the livingrooms of every tutti
cellist and third clarinettist?

Bueno, long response to a short question.  As for the Mp3's, I believe
that if you want you can charge for an mp3 download you can, and at the
site itself it is free because the artists choose to do that.

Dave Runnion
www.serafinotrio.com