From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:28:39 -0500
Jim Tobin asks for clarification:

>Why [avoid the Dutoit]? I ask because even before it came out, and then
>afterwards, someone in Fanfare urged that this was the one worth waiting
>for.  Never added it to my collection, though.

To indulge in criticism by adjectives: Limp, lacklustre, and lifeless.
It's not just that the articulation is slack, it's as if Dutoit has very
little idea how the music is supposed to go.  In its own weak way, it
reminded me of Solti's unbelievably wrong performance of Copland's Rodeo.
It's like the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle.

Steve Schwartz