From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:38:40 -0700
Richard A. Ujvary ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Mike Leghorn wrote:
>
>>Glass? Really? To me all his music sounds the same.  I think he found a
>>unique style (more like a formula), and stuck with it his whole career
>>thus far.  I bet any decent composer could analyze Glass's music and
>>produce reams and reams of music that sounds just like his.
>
>You know there was a piece in the Journal today referring to Eakin's
>"Gross Clinic" where the writer saw the picture in a new light after
>previous multiple viewings.  originally, he thought he had the picture
>pegged.  He noted that we can never fully "know" a great work of art.
>Perhaps you should keep listening to the repetitive Glass? There also
>was a quote from the English critic Neville Cardus, who was commenting
>on a performance of Beethoven's Fifth, a musical warhorse,..."there are
>no hackneyed masterpieces only hackneyed critics".

I tend to agree with Mike.  There was some interesting early Glass (Musicv
in Fifths, Music in Similar Motion) but his later stuff is, frankly (and
always, of course, IMHO) tedious.

Far more interesting (IMHO) are Reich and Riley and, of course, the
proto-minimalist LaMonte Young.  (Whose Composition #7 makes Satie's
Vexations look maximalist).

Deryk Barker