From:
Robert Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:47:15 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>The forgotten group would include perhaps the best candidate, Ben Zander:
>consider the bonus lecture CDs in his recent Mahler 9 and Beethoven 5/7
>recordings.

I have both of these recordings and appreciate the commentary by Mr.
Zander.  However, IMHO, I think his style is more for adult listeners--I
don't think he would have the charisma to keep young people involved.

Growing up on Bernstein and later seeing some of the Tilson Thomas programs
I can only say we need more people who can succeed in educating in a style
that is simultaneously informative and entertaining.

I am also intrigued when I think of how Bernstein might conduct his
programs now with the advance of audio/video techniques.  Would our young
people expect something more splashy than a host, possibly some guest and
a full symphony orchestra?

Robert Palmer