From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:59:10 +0000
Ray Osnato writes concerning concert audience members:

>They feel the tension, the sense of the risk-taking that one gets only
>in live performances and they feel priviledged to have been at a special
>event, rather than being reduced to just another person listening to a
>record in their bathrobe and bunny-slippers.

I take exception to the above statement.  I never wear slippers and
always disrobe before listening to a recording.

Getting to the more serious aspects of Ray's posting, I have never felt
the tension or sense of risk-taking that Ray enjoys at live performances.
Just one unfamiliar good-looking woman in the audience diverts my attention
from the music.  Could it be ADD?

I haven't performed piano in public for decades, but the memory of
it is vivid and most disagreeable.  My best artistry and technical
accomplishment was always when I rehearsed at home; being in the company
of strangers has never been an attractive happening.

As for listening at live concerts vs.  recordings, I also find no
comparison.  At home, I can lie on the floor or sofa, pace around the
room, scratch myself, conduct, dance, sing, etc.  At a concert, I find
myself trapped on a small cushion, bunched up against other folks who
might be talking, chewing food, humming, coughing, playing with wrappers,
giving off infectious germs, and even smelling bad.

I reserve the worst aspect of attending concerts for last.  It happens
at the end of a performance when certain audience members (always the
same histrionic ones) immediately jump out of their seats, clap like
crazy, and shout "bravo" at the top of their lungs regardless of the
quality of the performance.  Get me out of here!!

Don Satz