From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:04:35 +0200
Why are never Olympias Explore-New-Composers-Series noticed in the West?
I just listened to yet another CD, this time with the Roumanian Vieru:

     Anatol Viernu

* Concerto for Violin, Cello and Orchestra (1979)^
* Symphony Nr.5 for Chorus and Orchestra (1985)

Oleg Kagan (violin)^, Natalia Gutman (cello)^
Romanian Radio Chorus & Orchestra
Cond: Anatol Vieru^, Ludovic Baci

The recording is absolutely excellent, and only one in a long row of
powerfully convincing recordings.  I thought it should be any difference
as the Wall fell, but no!  *sigh*

But I think it is time to bring notice to those East-European artists, who
are so excellent, but so seldom noticed in the West.  I for once, wonder if
Alexei Orlowetskys brilliant Liszt set (including the Sonata S178, Csardas
Macabre, Bach transcriptions and Remiscences de Norma) will be found in the
CD store in 30 years....But surely Norman LeBrecht will give the "kids" of
the record industry a scolding!  I recall some interesting article back in
June-July 97 or something like that...a propos boots.

Mats Norrman