From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:08:20 -0500
Steve Schwartz writes:

>Unless, of course, the composer made a mistake or miscalculated.  But
>apparently the composer can never be wrong.  Sweet racket.

So, what determines what's "correct" about an artist's work? Someone else's
preferences? You're not happy with an artist's work because it violates
your esthetics? Make your own art.  Then you can decide what's right or
wrong.

>In other words, we shouldn't have to submit to composers' opinions -
>high or low - of their own stuff.  We don't take authors' views of their
>own work, painters' judgments of their own canvanses, or actors' reviews
>of their own performance as gospel.

It's one thing to disagree with an artist's *opinions*, it's quite another
to alter their work to suit our own preferences.  We don't "edit" canvases,
we don't edit movies, etc..

len.