From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:16:10 -0400
Margaret Mikulska wrote:

>Maybe it's not that there *are* more decent orchestras nowadays, but
>that labels like Naxos record with orchestras that major labels
>wouldn't work with and therefore those orchestras weren't known
>before.

Given my recollections of listening on radio and record buying that
started in the 1060's, this is a point very well taken I think.

I also think it might be related to the attitude of 'best performance'
that I believe is prevalent among many buyers, especially who, when faced
with choices, opt for more familiar names.  Risk averse again, take
security and miss opportunity.

I respect music making that takes risks, and very often greatly enjoy
the results.

Best regards,

Tom Connor