From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:45:32 +0100
Richard Pennycuick:

>Given some of the out-of-the-way music that's finding its way to CD,
>Kienzl and Wildgans might turn up any day now

It's funny that what we perceive to be out of the way was sometimes well
known in the composers time.  Kienzl for example was a much lauded public
figure, in fact streets are named after him in Austria and he's still
revered.  That's how he got the commission to write the "new" National
Anthem - he was socially prominent and the Prime Minister of the time
was his friend.  His operas, especially Der Evangelimann, are apparently
cheery operetta like works still in the repertoire today.  CPO has issued
at least one CD of Kienzl's songs.

I was going to get it since I wondered how they'd relate to other song
composers active at the time - no great hopes per se as there were lots
whose work sounds quite samey.  Instead I spotted Wilhelm Killmayer, a
name new to me, even though he is one of the grandaddies of contemporary
German music, an inspiration to people like Wolfgang Rihm, so famous
there's a well written article on him in andante.  But the performer,
Pregardien is very good indeed, and noted for his understanding of what's
good in new music.  A lot of "obscure" music is performed by mediocrities,
but with Pregardien, you know you'll get something genuinely thought
through, not merely sight read.  So I thought I'd take a chance on
Killmayer, though I rarely listen to anything that modern.  Goodness!
This disc was so good that even after months of frequent listening I
still would rate it as a future classic, something that, though written
in 1999, will one day be core repertoire.  I listen to enough song that
I don't say such things lightly.  If anyone wants a review, I'll say
why, but be warned it's very detailed.  This was my discovery of the
year.  It's started me on a whole new adventure.

Anne