From:
Maciej Dziekiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:36:51 +0200
Anthony Morris wrote:

>Maciej Dziekiewicz writes:
>
>>Big labels including Telarc do not simply have time to strive for sound
>>quality.
>
>I can ignore a bit of subjectivity but wouldn't half mind an explanation of
>the above comment:-)

I'll be happy to explain the details of more technical nature that make
me say as above, but I guess it would be aside of the main subject of
this mailing list.  In short reasons why we cant find a real (not just
marketed as) hi-end audio recordings from DG, EMI, Decca etc..  are simlpy
economical.  The hi-end audio recording takes usually more than twice as
many days as regular recording and requires more skill and far better
equipment.  Regular recordings are a well done craft, but hi-end ones are
done buy artist-enginreers who are willing to devote their time and LOTS of
money to push on the boundaries.  This is also the reason why hi-end audio
labels can't afford world class artists and orchestras - it would be too
expensive to keep them in a studio for so long.  So provided that a regular
music lover has a simple Technics, Sony, Kenwood or Denon equipment big
labels do not find it feasible to invest in sound quality as most people
can hardly notice the difference.  It brings no more profit and creates
additional costs.

DVD and especialy DSD audio is a direction to go in the new 10 years as it
brings right away a dramatic quality change, obvious for everyone who wiil
buy the new surround equipment.

If you're interested in more technical details please feel free to email me.

Donald Scarinci wrote:

>Does anyone know of any of the Beetoven symphonies that are high end?

I think Reference Recordings has a least one.

Maciej Dziekiewicz