From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:37:05 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote on Mahler Second recordings:

>Of the ones I've heard, I most like Walter and Kubelik.  Klemperer I find
>just plain too slow

I find that very puzzling.  Which version have you heard? In his main
recordings of Mahler 2 in speed terms Klemperer is faster than most.
This is why his recordings of the Mahler 2nd can be fitted on to one
compact disc.  There is a "live" one from 1971 on Arkadia which is slow
but Klemperer was very old then and that was when he became slower in
all his performances.

Tony Duggan,
England