From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 10:54:05 PST
Channel Classics recently issued a 2-cd set of Bach's Great Organ Mass
featuring Leo van Doeselaar on the organ and the Choir of the Netherlands
Bach Society directed by Jos van Veldhoven.  Mr.  Veldhoven was the
conductor of the fine St.  Matthew Passion also on Channel Classics.

Before getting to the matter of the performances, I need to explain a
little about just what the Great Organ Mass is and the basic concept of
the new recording (for it is a concept recording).

The Great/German Organ Mass comes from the third part of Bach's
Clavierubung which consists of the Four Duets and a grouping of organ
pieces; these organ pieces make up the Great Organ Mass.  This organ mass
consists, first, of a prelude and fugue (S 552) with the prelude framing
the beginning of the mass and the fugue framing the conclusion.  Second,
there is a series of 21 Chorale-Preludes between the two frames.  Most
recordings present the series of 21 with the prelude and fugue as the
frames - all organ music.

The concept of the new set is to select *some* of the organ pieces and
intersperse them with choral treatments of the chorales, these choral
treatments being composed by composers other than Bach.  In this case, the
choral contributions come from the likes of Schutz, Praetorius, Schein,
Scheidt,and Hassler.

I see three considerations with this concept:

1.  How well are the organ pieces played.
2.  How well are the choral pieces sung.
3.  How well does the concept play out.

Concerning the organ pieces, van Doeselaar is an excellent organist and the
recorded sound is fantastic.  The choral pieces are lovely and expertly
sung by the choir.

They also go together quite well.  I suppose you could imagine being part
of a Lutheran service and soaking up the mix of organ and chorus.  Whether
this concept wears well over time is a consideration I can't address
presently.  I'm sure there are listeners who would prefer to have the Great
Organ Mass in its entirety without any choral treatment.  But for those
who love this type of mix and match, the new set could well be a treasure.
Personally, I am very glad to have this set under the condition that I also
have the Great Organ Mass complete.

Don's Conclusion:  A worthy and beautifully played recording for those who
already have the complete Great organ Mass.  But, those new to these works
should first acquire the Mass in its entirety.

Don Satz