From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:10:30 -0800
Richard Todd wrote:

>Speaking of Remington, does anyone remember their Der Freischutz? I can't
>remember who the artists were, but I can hardly think of a version that
>ever made a stronger impression on me.  Of course, I was but 14 when I
>got it, and I guess I was pretty impressionable.

In Alan Blyth's *Opera on Record* [1979] he lists the cast for Remington
199/100:

   Agathe: Paludan
   Aennchen: Loeser
   Max:    Wehofschutz
   Ottokar: Tuttner
   Kuno:   Duffek
   Austrian State Chorus & Orchestra: Doehrer, cond.

He does not mention the recording in the text in which he comments on
things, and there is no tenor listed!  I have always suspected that some
of these names on Remington and other such labels are pseudonyms, and
that these were early "pirate" versions.

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]