From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:10:30 +1000
Bernard Chasan declared that he

>would like to know what a Whitcherly Grub is - I think.

The Macquarie Dictionary, an Australian publication, defines a witchetty
grub as:

   any of various large, white, edible, wood-boring grubs that are the
   larvae of certain Australian moths and beetles.

The name is a corruption of the Australian aboriginal word for the small
hooked implement used to remove the grubs from the ground.  I understand
that they are quite tasty and a good source of protein, but I've never
been courageous enough to find out.  I can, however, vouch for kangaroo
meat which is developing quite an export trade, and is worth your while
if you happen to find some at a more adventurous delicatessen.

It's good to have some incidental learning of new words in our
discussions, eg  I've been waiting for some time to find a use for
"lagniappe" which I learnt from a Steve Schwartz post.  However, in case
Dave's feeling a bit querulous, I should give this post some direct
musical content and mention that the aboriginal word best known to music
lovers is probably "corroboree", the name of a ballet by John Antill
(not to be confused with George Antheil).  This word means a tribal
gathering, and dancing is an important part of it.

Richard Pennycuick

 [You guys are starting to bug me.  -Dave]