From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 00:35:32 -0400
Further to Ed Zubrow's and Kevin Sutton's items on Wladyslaw Szpilman's
'The Pianist,' I'd mentioned a...

>Polish Radio news press conference ...[with] Polanski in Warsaw yesterday.
>Production of the film is about to begin; it's slated to be completed in 11
>weeks.

In a subsequent Polish Radio news broadcast, Polanski himself -- who
escaped from the Cracow ghetto at the age of 8 -- expressed a wish to
stay away from 'hollywoodizing' the memoirs in any way.

In much the same spirit, I was hoping to hear he'd use Szpilman's own
music.  After all, the memoirs indicate the trouble S.  took to preserve
his scores, and that he even managed to do some composing while in hiding.
As far as I know, he's never been recorded.

Instead, Polanski has assigned the soundtrack to Wojciech Kilar.

Bert Bailey