From:
Roberto Strappafelci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:17:36 +0100
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>But let us not presume to damn the Leipzigers of Bach's day for doing what
>they saw was their elected and civic duty.

With all due respect, I do not understand your position.  At the time, in
Leipzig, the Cantor's duties were:

a) to provide music for the church
b) to teach music
c) to teach latin

The first two were bread and butter for any decent composer, Bach included.

To teach latin was a pain in the ass for most 'Musicus'.  In fact, the Town
Council was divided on this issue, whether or not the Cantor should teach
latin.  The progressives would have better hired a famous Musicus, the
conservatives just a teacher.

As a matter of fact, Telemann declined the offer (he was asked first, then
Bach was) because he didn't intend to spend the rest of his life teaching
latin to the children.

Just like Telemann, at first Bach declined the job, too.  Why he later
agreed to the proposal is still a mistery.  He had to teach latin, and
this was the worst choice he ever did.  The rest of the story is well known.

The teaching of music was never a problem. The teaching of latin was.

Twentyseven years later one of the most conservative town councillor had
not yet understood that a good Musicus is rarely a latin teacher, and a
latin teacher is rarely a good Musicus.

If this is the kind of Leipziger you like, I disagree.

Roberto Strappafelci