From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:36:23 -0800
Composer, choral conductor, founder of the San Francisco Polyphonic
Chorale, Vincenzo Giannini died last month in Daly City, at age 92.
Originally from Italy, he conducted in many European and South American
venues, became chorus master of the San Francisco Opera in 1959, holding
that position for a decade, during the Kurt Herbert Adler era.

Later on, in the 1970s, Mr.  Giannini served for three years as chorus
master of Iran's opera company in Tehran, still under the Shah's rule.
A funeral service will be held in Livermore on Thursday, to be attended
by several current members of the S.F.  Opera Chorus, who worked with
Mr.  Giannini during the decade when he headed the organization.  He is
survived by his wife of more than 40 years, Gloria Giannini, and three
sons, all residing in Italy.

 From an SFO Chorus veteran:

   He was really an old fashioned chorus master, which was difficult
   in those days, remembering that KHA was also a chorus master (or
   was, really, a chorus MASTER),  and would "drop in" and work
   with us every once in a while, putting Giannini in a most awkward
   position.  His last year he was becoming more and more annoyed
   with KHA's visit, and, I think the feeling was mutual.  The end
   was rather contentious, but he went on to other positions around
   the world.  We all feel terrible as we were under the impression
   that he had died years ago, and were certainly taken back by the
   obit.

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org