From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:18:09 +0000
Karl Miller wrote:

>.... my friend said..."why don't they ever cut Wagner!" While it
>wouldn't be an easy thing to do musically, it did strike me that I wasn't
>aware of attempts to do so.  Was curious if others knew of attempts to do
>so...also, why not "edit" Mahler?

_Tristan_ has been performed with cuts, and early recordings often have
them.  Nowadays recordings at least are usually uncut.  Of the 20 or so
assorted opera recordings we have, all dating from the 60's onwards, the
only one which I know has cuts in is our _Cosi_ (conducted by Bohm) where
parts of the recitative are dropped.

Virginia Knight
Personal homepage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html