From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:11:29 -0500
Don Satz:

>The basic problem I find with catching music on the radio is that no
>station can possibly know what musical mood I'm in at the time.  However,
>I well know my moods and keep a fine inventory of discs in my car to cover
>every mood.  With this process, I can listen to just what I want at any
>particular moment.  No radio station can satisfy in this regard.
>
>Norman could argue that I can't hear music new to me if I only listen to my
>own cd's.  That's why I often acquire music I've not heard before; I want
>to keep up with the unknown and would rather do so thru my own devices.

While I like to set music to suit my moods, when I step out into the world
I'm geared for adaptation, and don't mind releasing some control.

My radio listening happens mostly in the car.  If I don't like what's on
my favourite station, I'll press button #2; if that doesn't appeal, I'll
try my 3rd choice.  If that doesn't cut it, I might try rock ...or see
what I have in the cassette player.

But usually there's something on 1 or 2, both CM, that's worth hearing
out.  I'm not sure about Norman (Schwartz) but I'm not intent with radio
listening on new music alone:  I like to catch different versions of music
I'm familiar with, or music I wouldn't normally put on.  I'll even listen
to pieces I don't especially like to see if my tastes have changed, or if
the version playing might make it click.  Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu done
by Peraiha was a memorable case in the car five or six years ago.

There's also the guessing game that radio listening often invites.  In
addition, previous taste decisions can be confirmed via radio (Brahms and
Schubert recently), while others have been disconfirmed (Milhaud's music
for winds).

And none of this speaks to catching live radio performances; in my
experience these can be electrifying way more often than any studio CD
recording.  Not advised while driving, though.

Bert Bailey