From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:05:53 +1100
Bernard Chasan:

>I happened to hear (on WHRB) the new Naxos recording of this work,
>previously unknown to me, and I was bowled over, as they say.  It is a
>work of great beauty and expressiveness - to my ears, endowed with
>a harmonic adventurousness which gave it a kind of urgency.  On first
>listening I don't know anything else quite like it.  Does anybody out
>there know the work?

Yes, I've been a Suk fan for a long time.  The middle movement called Blind
Fiddlers especially I find quite eerily beautiful, but the whole work is
one of his best.  There are several other versions of the piece, but the
Naxos coupling, Tale of a Winter's Evening, is, AFAIK, the only available
recording.

Richard Pennycuick