From:
Sandra Beane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:58:05 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I don't really know what your opinion on "proper" concert etiquette for
>4'33" is so I will give my suggestion.  Personally, I feel that 4'33" is
>an ideal time to head back into the lobby and get a snack or maybe even
>use the restroom.  I mean, certainly in such deafening silence the crowd
>will hear the shuffling of your feet, but then again...isn't 4'33" really
>a study in silence and the "music" whis is still present in the face os
>silence? Besides, I would really like to be free of restroom obligations
>when the band strikes up with Brahms' first symphony!

WOW.  i think that you are missing the whole idea behind this work of art.
This is bar far the most origional and natural.  It tells you that natural
sounds....all the sounds around you is music.  This piece makes you aware
of what is really going on around you.  I am not sure if I would " go to
the lobby and get a snack" if anything I would do it during Sousa's stars
and stripes.  I have heard that way too many times.  and how many times
does one hear 4'33"? honestly.  I have yet to hear the whole peice
performed.  I heard a bit in my Music Appreciation class.  anyhow.
I feel the the whole idea is to be natural.

Sandra Beane