From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:10:01 -0500
Philip Peters wrote:

>Simon Crouch wrote:
>
>>Worth pointing out, perhaps, that Manze includes a "reconstruction" of the
>>"original" violin version of the (in)famous d-minor toccata and fugue, BWV
>>565.  You can hear this bit at the USA Harmonia Mundi site.
>
>And most intriguing it is.  Whether it really *was* written for violin or
>not, Manze makes a convincing case.

I heard the entire piece on the WHRB Bach ORGY a few days ago, and the
toccata sounded very odd to me, but the fugue sounded wonderful and
especially idiomatic.  I am eagerly awaiting release of the entire Manze
Sonatas for Violin and Continuo set, due out next month.

I also heard Manze and Poger play the Bach concerto in D for two violins.
That's another big winner ... one piece in the Bach 2 cd violin concerto
album.  This orgy certainly caused me to produce one big shopping list.

Mimi Ezust