From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:12:47 -0000
Can any List Member recommend a recording of the above, of which Ernest
Newman apparently said it "...contained melodies to stir the very marrow
of his bones and belonged on the same pedestal as Richard Strauss."

Intriguing enough to try to find a decent recording, I decided.  The only
one I have found on a cursory search is the Hyperion recording in their
Romantic Piano Concerto series -- before purchasing I want to see what
other listeners may recommend.

Tim Mahon

 [Apparently the Hyperion is the only modern recorded performance.
 According to the liner notes: "before the present recording it had not
 enjoyed a fully professional performance for over forty years".  The
 options are probably very limited, especially currently available on
 CD.  Is the Hyperion the first I wonder?  -Dave]